Business operations are now reopening and employers are stepping up their hiring efforts.
As a business owner, you most likely had to change your hiring strategy during the pandemic.
However, as you transition back to the office or adopt a hybrid schedule, virtual employee interviewing will become permanent.
But how can you streamline your software developer virtual hiring process to get the best results?
Here are five steps that will help you achieve a seamless recruitment process even if your business relies completely on a remote team.
Have a remote recruitment checklist
The first step you should take is to create a remote hiring process checklist. However, sourcing, interviewing, and hiring processes will vary across industries. Here are some questions that will help you to perfect yours.
- Where do you plan to source candidates? Will you post job adverts or rely purely on direct outreach?
- When potential employees submit their resumes, what steps will you take to vet and sort through applicants?
- Will you have to do a background check before you interview candidates?
- Will candidates have to take an exam or complete a pre-hiring assignment?
- How many interviews will applicants have to complete?
Here is an example of a remote recruitment checklist you can adopt
- Post any job openings to public job boards like Indeed or Glassdoor
- Post the vacant positions on the business website
- Use an applicant tracker software to filter resumes and identify the most relevant skills and experience
- Instruct the HR representative to contact successful candidates for a video interview
- Email the successful candidates
Test the available technologies
Before you implement your virtual hiring process, you need to test the necessary technologies you will be enlisting. While working remotely, you most likely used Zoom, Microsoft Teams, or other video technologies. However, now that you’re back in the office, you should reexamine your tools and confirm everything is working properly.
While your technology may have worked well previously, you may experience some issues with your communication tools after returning to the office. Therefore, run some tests before you conduct any video interviews.
Get recruitment software
There are many steps you should follow to ensure you hire the right candidate for the job. You have to prepare job descriptions, manage the candidate pool, screen CVs, and schedule interviews, among others. However, going through all resumes and communicating with all candidates can be time-consuming. What’s more, such a strategy is prone to errors and you will have a high candidate abandonment rate.
To make your work easier, you may want to consider automating all repetitive tasks using an applicant tracking system. This software will allow you to focus on training new employees and research retention strategies.
Other ways recruitment software can benefit your business
To decrease the likelihood of hiring the wrong candidates, most companies are now turning to recruitment automation software. This technology automates recruiting tasks reduces the cost-per-hire, accelerates the time taken to fill positions, and increases recruiter productivity. Some of the other ways this technology can help you include:
- Comparing new hiring applications: Recruitment automation software will compare new hire requisitions against the vacant positions and budget. This will help ensure that the information posted is accurate and help attract the right talent.
- Streamlining the scheduling process: Did you know that it takes approximately 15 minutes to one hour to schedule a single interview? Fortunately, recruitment software can also handle scheduling interviews. This software reduces the cost of scheduling interviews, time commitment, and lost talent. It will also notify you of new schedules.
- Reducing the time taken to approve contracts: The ideal recruitment software can manage employee contract needs and reduce the contract approval cycle. It can do this by eliminating bottlenecks and ensuring accountability.
Remove hiring obstacles
When most employers start the hiring process, they tend to get too choosy about the data they collect. This is because they think that the more data they have, the easier the screening process will be. However, having more information makes it more difficult to make up your mind. What’s more, asking for too much information can intimidate candidates.
Therefore, if you want to streamline your hiring process, ensure that the process is easier for your candidates as well. You may also want to think about the platform candidates will apply from. Ensure that it’s user-friendly.
The questions you ask at every stage should only focus on attracting the right candidate and those that you may not get answers from the resume.
Remember the employee onboarding process
Now that you’ve found the right candidate, and they’ve accepted, remember that your job isn’t over yet.
A streamlined recruitment process should also have an employee onboarding process. This will allow you to get the new employee into the heart of your business. Remember, the easier the onboarding process is, the sooner they can start delivering productive work.
Here are a few steps you should take in your onboarding process:
- Create a checklist of all the tools and accounts your new hire might need access to. This may include Trello or Slack. In case the new employee is joining a department that uses a specific tool, remember to include it in your onboarding process.
- Get the necessary onboarding documents, like training videos or manuals that will show new employees what to expect.
- Include a directory of the people new employees need access to and their contact information.
When you have a streamlined recruitment process, you can easily get the right employees and seamlessly take them to onboard. Therefore, ensure that you list down everything important that you don’t want to miss once a new person joins your team.
Remote hiring was already on the rise before the pandemic, but it’s now leading in HR-related questions.
Just like many other employers, you most likely had to change your hiring tactics to accommodate remote employees.
This sudden shift in hiring practices means that you have to recruit and hire developers without meeting candidates. Use the above actionable tips to help you improve your remote hiring process.
If you need help streamlining your hiring process and reducing the cost and time you use on hiring tasks, contact us today.
Our skilled experts use AI to automate repetitive recruitment tasks, which will significantly reduce your cost-per-hire and the time taken to fill each position.
- How to Manage Software Licencing in Enterprise Software Deployments - January 24, 2023
- What is Data Science? Why Does it Matter for Software Development? - January 20, 2023
- Mixed Reality: Software Development Trends in Mixed Reality - January 17, 2023